I'm an Extreme Luddite: I have been running Artrage 4 & 5 for some years on a 12-year old Thinkpad X61 tablet with a 1400x1050 screen. Although the original OS was Windows 7, I upgraded it to a completely functional Windows 10. This ancient tablet has a Wacom digitizer. With special memory DIMMs, I expanded the RAM to 8GB of DDR2. The freeware "Middleton BIOS" unlocks SATA2 speeds. Recently, I upgraded the hard drive to a Crucial MX500, 1TB capacity.

The speed of the 1.6G dual core processor, combined with the RAM and SSD upgrade, make a canvas size up to 2800x 2100, 4X the screen pixel count, a reasonable size.

This is extreme Ludditism, but I had my reasons. Modern tablets with detachable keyboards are difficult or impossible to use on commuter trains without tray tables. The X61 tablet is by comparison commuter friendly. It also has the famous IBM keyboard feel.

While I'm not recommending my ancient solution to anybody else, it is worth noting that Artrage does not require the 3D graphics capabilities or OpenGL levels of modern hardware, and is quite compatible with older machines provided enough RAM is available.

I just installed Artrage 6, with positive initial impression.