Thread: Strange Stylus Highlighting Behaviour on My Cintiq 27 Pro (Mac M1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    Nekomata: The ghost traces appear and vanish when the document is quit and returned to. They vanish when the Zoom is changed. They sometimes vanish when the pen goes over them again. They are nowhere near "permanent".
    I'm mostly afraid this is happening due to some under the hood updates in the mac os code itself no longer working with the artrage 6/vitae interface framework on a particular device, but just in case, since you haven't mentioned this step, does toggling between classic mode and docking mode under view -> interface mode make any difference while painting?

and does this issue happen with a certain file alone, or is it universal regardless of every file you're creating inside of artrage/copying and pasting or importing an image from an external app? (I see painter blender marks in the background, so, I imagine, this is an imported .psd file?)

however if wacom have escalated this to their engineering already, this might indeed have something to do with stylus input code -- there's an internal wacom driver option for improving pen precision in the pro pen 2 generation of devices which I imagine has been carried over onto cintiq 27" tech which hypothetically might trace stylus movement throughout painting process, but I'm not sure what exactly would be leaving the ghost overlay because the tip-up assist tool has no visual clues for the user.

they have a relatively fast turnaround of recent mac driver builds, so if this is indeed something on their side it will come out faster than a native apple silicon artrage release.

"and does this issue happen with a certain file alone, or is it universal regardless of every file you're creating inside of artrage/copying and pasting or importing an image from an external app? (I see painter blender marks in the background, so, I imagine, this is an imported .psd file?)"

It happens on all of the above. New files. Imported files. Old files. Art Rage 6 files. Vitae files. Jpegs. PNGs. Etc.

I agree with your assessment, it is likely a Mac Chip issue (I managed to get this working without issue on an ancient Intel iMac).

So far the escalated Wacom response has been underwhelming (switch to 60hz instead of 120hz) which, of course, had no effect.

Some strange interaction is going on.

Cheers!
    -D

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    "and does this issue happen with a certain file alone, or is it universal regardless of every file you're creating inside of artrage/copying and pasting or importing an image from an external app? (I see painter blender marks in the background, so, I imagine, this is an imported .psd file?)"

It happens on all of the above. New files. Imported files. Old files. Art Rage 6 files. Vitae files. Jpegs. PNGs. Etc.

I agree with your assessment, it is likely a Mac Chip issue (I managed to get this working without issue on an ancient Intel iMac).

So far the escalated Wacom response has been underwhelming (switch to 60hz instead of 120hz) which, of course, had no effect.

Some strange interaction is going on.

Cheers!
    -D
    there's a very long alternative solution I can think of which isn't guaranteed to support your cintiq model too (is the current wacom driver, or one before that, still supported by your intel mac?) but you can install parallels virtual machine on the old imac, make a copy of the OS X it has running over there, transfer that copy on your new mac, and run that from inside parallels on your current apple silicon workstation.

it's a bit monstrous installation-wise, but it should at the very least work as it did on the old machine - artrage does not rely on GPU acceleration or advanced realtime GPU filters or anything like that.
    I used parallels windows VM on mac about a decade ago to extend painter IX lifespan after the code support got discontinued on mac, and those new versions were not exactly improving things.

this will require you to spend some time navigating the software (it's pretty barebones itself, but the set-up process might get a bit overwhelming), and you'll have to trust russian software currently owned by corel, but if anything else fails, this might work out:

kb.parallels.com/125561/ - the support article outlining the process.