Thread: psd import lost layers...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi bauchladen!

I'm not sure if that will work with any other program than the one you created the PSD with. The PSD-file-format basically is Photoshops own format for documents that are in progress. The only one that can also save e.G. guidelines, selections, pathes and other stuff in Photoshop. In Affinity Photo it is the "*.afphoto"-file (in ArtRage the "*.ptg", in GIMP the XCF and so on). Finished projects will normally be exported, depending on for what usage they are meant to be, as JPEG, PNG, TIFF or others. Its by the way similar with TIFF, that supports layers too, but it will not always work satisfying if you transfer TIFFs with layers and/or transparencies between different programs. In some cases they get lost if one tries that. Nowadays you can open PSDs in other programs too, but not with all of its features.

The layer management of Affinity Photo is very different from Photoshops layer management and from ArtRAge's too in some points. So that might be the reason.

One thing, you could try is to import or open the PSD by dragging it into ArtRage. But it will probably not make a difference. The only way might be to export any single layer and import it separately.

But without warranty.

Edit: I tested it myself and on import the layers got merged to. But if I open a multilayered PSD in ArtRage, the layers keep separated. But as I already said, not with all of their features. E.G. masks and Adjustment Layers get lost. No surprise, because ArtRage doesn't have this features.
    Last edited by Somerset; 09-26-2022 at 03:17 AM.