Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any programs or techniques to turn a painting into a woodcut etching?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chet Philips art

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    I am thinking Gustave Dore or Durer in style. Any thoughts?
    The only way I get a good looking digital woodcut or linocut is to make it by hand. I have been using both Painter and ArtRage for that. In Painter I use the Scratchboard tool, in ArtRage the pen tool wit the square head setting. On a Multiply layer filled with black colour I make the "cuts" in white to reveal the canvas. The canvas can be painted on in a colourfu way just like Chet Philips does: http://chetart.com/ Chet also got two videos in his Portfolio that explosions how he works Making digital woodcuts.

Here are two versions of a "cut" I have made using ArtRage. The whole image has an overlay paper texture to make it look less artificial. Chet Philips uses that too. It looks nice to me. Still it does not look like Dürer or Doré. They made much finer lines, more like gravure or xylographie, wich came close to the metal cutting tech. The expressionist movement in early 1900, especially in Germany, developed the modern looks of the wood- or lino cutting. That is what I like the most.

Name:  OldBootsSmall.png
Views: 1067
Size:  80.1 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 10-07-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Maybe it is late answering this question, Monport laser engraving machine can do iit.

Laser engravering machine can turn a painting into a woodcut etching.You can try the Monport laser engraver.