Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A bird (+10). New September 16

Another beautiful birdie. I particularly like the dry brush strokes and loose feel. It really captures the 'feathery' nature.

You're complementary to SCP, beaks instead than teeth for Your creatures! Excellent as always!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Wow what beautiful birds, such wonderful details, painted to their true like, exceptional paintings

very beautiful work. all of them are exquisite. love the artistic style you have. amazing ipad work!

I do not like working with yellow, so I have gotten other colors trying not to break the range. I have also decided not to paint a colored background.

Serinus canaria domestica. Domestic Canary.

ArtRage Ipad. (Watercolor, airbush and palette knife). 4 hours.

Name:  Canario.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by Ostogar; 08-19-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    I not sure if Google Translate is my true friend...

Wonderful. You don't like working yellow? You did such a nice job with it.

Yes, yellow has its own set of challenges with the darkening of it without the color going dead or greenish or some other less desirable tint that throws the local color recognition off. White looks just fine. But if you did want to add a color in the background to liven it up a little, you could do a single small brushstroke of turquoise and a tiny spot of orange down by the perch merely as a counterpoint to really show off the color of the yellow of the bird and imply some depth.

You could try it out on a separate layer and then spin the color wheel, and saturation and value levels, to see how you can get it to where it's satisfying without being to intrusive. I've done that many a time where I keep a color isolated and play with the adjustments of it on a separate layer. Mostly it works. Sometimes I realize that no color at all is the answer too. But for me it's always worth it to learn from the experience and grow my color sense.

Anyway, very much enjoying your work.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-20-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Great work ! both have character.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

D Akey: 40 years I've been using the classic techniques of painting on canvas and paper and I always forget that I can now safely test and experiment with layers ....

Fringilla coelebs. Pinzón. Txonta. Chaffinch...

ArtRage Ipad

Name:  20140317-1 - copia.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  55.4 KB

Another beautiful bird to add to the collection. I'm always astounded at what some people can do with an Ipad. I have a 7" android tablet and there is no way I can paint with it - perhaps when AR is available I might have a chance.